Chocolate, coffee, cinnamon and Kahlúa… all staple ingredients in a Mexican kitchen.
I grew up drinking “calientito (warm)” Chocolate Ibarra during the cool months. When my parents entertained at our home, they always had a bottle of Kahlúa ready for the “cafesito para el postre (little coffee with dessert)”.
This recipe kind of came to me naturally. I didn’t have to dig deep for inspiration nor did I have to go far for the ingredients haha!
I made a Kahlúa and Mexican Chocolate Mousse!!!
I started off by grating the Ibarra chocolate disk into a large microwave-safe mixing bowl.
Next, I poured in the heavy cream and vanilla extract.
Gave it a quick stir…
Popped it into the microwave for a couple of minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
One the mixture was hot, I added my instant coffee. I happen to have instant coffee on-hand because that’s all my parents want to drink when they come visit. I’ve had them try Keurig cups and fresh ground coffee and they still rather have this. Whatever makes them happy, right?
While my chocolate-coffee ganache is heating up again in the microwave, I start whipping the heavy cream and Kahlúa in the mixer.
You’ll want to make sure not to over whip or else it will curdle. After the heavy cream looks like the left photo, it’s only seconds before it’s ready (right photo).
When my cream was nice and fluffy, I stirred in my ganache.
Not too stiff. Not too runny. It was perfect!
I covered it and let it chill in refrigerator for 45 minutes.
I served it on my traditional Mexican drinky drink blue-rim glasses from Tonala, Jalisco, Mexico.
Garnished with a small handful of JET-PUFFED Mini Marshmallows, a little bit of ground cinnamon and a few whole coffee beans.
If you want to make this for the little ones, it taste just as yummy without the instant coffee and Kahlúa. It will be like a cinnamon-y whipped hot chocolate.
- 2 Mexican chocolate tablets, grated
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, separated
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 1 cup JET-PUFFED Mini Marshmallows
- 1/4 cup whole coffee beans
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large heat resistant bowl, combine chocolate, 1 cup heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Use spatula to gently incorporate mixture.
- Place bowl in microwave and heat for a total of 2 minutes in 30 second intervals. Stir in between every 30 seconds. Add instant coffee to ganache and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Slowly stir ganache one last time until it looks dark brown. Place bowl in freezer for 45 minutes or until mixture is cold and firm.
- When ganache is cold, whip 2 cups of heavy cream in mixer on med-high for 4 minutes. Cream should have texture of melting frosting. Pour in Kahlua and mix for another 1-2 minutes on med-high speed. Be careful not to over whip or else cream will curdle.
- Using spatula, fold in half of the whipped cream into ganache. Add second half and continue to blend in until mousse is creamy and smooth. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place back in refrigerator to chill for 30-45 minutes or until ready to serve.
- To serve: scoop a dollop of mousse into dish. Garnish with a few mini marshmallows, coffee beans and a dash of ground cinnamon.